View Single Post
Old Tue Sep 09, 2014, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topper View Post
Comparing softball officiating with a real job doesn't hold water IMO. I'm there to worry about the consequences of the softball rolling around on the field, not how a coach perceives my posture at rest.
Respectfully disagree. And, as always, I have thoroughly enjoyed the conversation on this board. Here's a little background on why I started this thread.

I want to do all the little things that get noticed positively on-field, and eliminate all the little things that detract from my game in the eyes of an evaluator. I am lucky enough to work with some excellent umpires and UICs, but the usual response when I ask if they have anything for me (especially on bases) is "Nope, looked great." Grrrrrr! Thus, I come to this board and soak up knowledge where I can.

I have always approached amateur umpiring as a "real job". I started when I was 12 with YMCA baseball, and moved to JO FP softball at 15 because the pay was so much better ($16 a game vs. $5!). In a real job, the boss almost always has feedback for you. I got to where I am today by listening to feedback about my work whenever I could get it. At this point, pay is irrelevant. I want to work at the highest level of ball I possibly can, which means I need to get as good as I can. Period.

This means getting noticed by someone with connections, but I don't "play politics" within an organization. I can't be bothered to do so. It obviously puts me at a disadvantage versus someone who belongs to the good ol' boys club, so I have to make up for it on the field. Appearance and professionalism are extremely important to me, even when it is something as minor as how you stand during a lull in play. (Example: I grew my hair out long for a Locks of Love donation from 2010-2012 in support of a co-worker with a child with juvenile cancer. I chose not to umpire any level of ball during this time, as I did not meet my own level of professional on-field appearance. Also, even further off-topic, I have really terrible-looking long hair.)