View Single Post
Old Tue Sep 09, 2014, 07:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topper View Post
Then what is the point/problem? If a coaches perception of how I stand in between innings causes him/her to change the way they handle something that happens during play, I can and will deal with that appropriately.
The coach is going to complain to the UIC, assignor, AD, whatever authority will listen and who can affect future assignments

Quote:
Comparing softball officiating with a real job doesn't hold water IMO. I'm there to worry about the consequences of the softball rolling around on the field, not how a coach perceives my posture at rest.
Are you accepting remuneration for your efforts? Have you not agreed to work under standards set by either the sanctioning body or association with whom that body has contracted your services? Do you not risk the loss of opportunity to continue should you fail or refuse to follow those rules and standards?

Sounds like a real job to me.

Quote:
I completely understand what you and Steve are saying about the way things are - I've dealt with it for years. I just wonder when softball officials became second class citizens to softball coaches and the "powers that be" decided to make us so.
I worked an ASA national-level tournament (Men's SP Major) where the two teams set to play the championship game, along with the tournament reps approached the UIC (still a member of the NUS) and asked to have the umpire who was due to rotate to the plate to be moved to another position.

It had nothing to do with his skills. He was a good umpire, ISF certified with a Men's Super coming up the following month. From what I gathered, they didn't tell the UIC who they wanted on the game, just stated who they didn't want on the dish for that game.

The reason they asked for and were accommodated with a change was because he was so laid back, the teams did not believe he could appreciate the high competitive nature of that particular game.

I don't think there was an umpire there that believed he couldn't handle the game, but I also understand how the teams got that perception.