View Single Post
Old Fri Sep 05, 2014, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebob21 View Post
Evaluators: Time for a nit-picky between-innings mechanics question. Is it OK to stand with your hands on your hips between innings? (I know this is a fairly stupid question, but I'm curious to hear the wisdom of the masses on this innocuous detail.)

A partner of mine recently did this almost every inning. It was a fairly non-competitive game, and both teams and coaches were relaxed. He's got far more experience at high levels of play than I do, so it surprised me that he would do this, even at a game that "didn't matter".

One of the first mentors I ever had taught me early what to never ever do (arms folded, or hands in pockets). I find it impossible to stand with my arms at my side for any length of time, so I clasp my hands between innings or during breaks in play. On bases, parade-rest style behind me; on the plate, in front of me with mask under my elbow.
I would prefer the umpire not, but I think it depends on the entire body, not just where the hands are. If the posture is one which appears to be that the umpire just doesn't want to be there, yeah, that is something that should be addressed. Otherwise, I really don't care as a lot of people are like you who just cannot stand around without finding a place to put their hands. Many with a military background do as you and move to a parade rest set.