View Single Post
Old Fri Sep 05, 2014, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

Standing on field with hands on hips?

Evaluators: Time for a nit-picky between-innings mechanics question. Is it OK to stand with your hands on your hips between innings? (I know this is a fairly stupid question, but I'm curious to hear the wisdom of the masses on this innocuous detail.)

A partner of mine recently did this almost every inning. It was a fairly non-competitive game, and both teams and coaches were relaxed. He's got far more experience at high levels of play than I do, so it surprised me that he would do this, even at a game that "didn't matter".

One of the first mentors I ever had taught me early what to never ever do (arms folded, or hands in pockets). I find it impossible to stand with my arms at my side for any length of time, so I clasp my hands between innings or during breaks in play. On bases, parade-rest style behind me; on the plate, in front of me with mask under my elbow.