Thread: Four-man crew
View Single Post
Old Thu Aug 28, 2014, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
How about running a 4-person basketball crew like they do in hockey? Have 2 referees (who call all fouls & violations) & 2 umpires (who do the out of bounds plays).

The other idea would be, like others suggested, 3-person floor crew with the 4th person at the Scorers' table either doing the official book, running the scoreboard/clock, or overseeing the Timer & Scorer, while monitoring the benches.
I don't think either of those suggestions would help with anything. The first would likely provide worse coverage in both areas. The second would improve anything. You would just be making the scorer/timer an official. Not really a change.

For four officials to be of any benefit, they would all have to be fully authorized to make all calls on the floor. The only real issue is the mechanics...positions and coverages.

I would suggest two leads whether the ball side lead would cover to the corner suits now done in some systems. The other lead would have off ball post play and/or curl plays. There would still be a t and a c with the t being dictated by the ball location.. But opposite the current system (opposite ball side) and the t would stay much higher to guarantee at least one new least would always be able to beat a fastbreak.

Another option would be to have 2 c's with the off-ball c working even lower than now and the on ball c working high but not trail high. The t would work higher but could roam across the court to be on he off ball side.

In both of these schemes, the rotations would be incredibly simple and there would never be a question of who I us supposed to be the new lead(s). It would only be minor shifting.

The primary benefit with either would be the provide one more possible angle for plays to be covered.