View Single Post
Old Wed Aug 27, 2014, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
Quote:
Originally Posted by timasdf View Post
Agreed. I'm mostly trying to determine (by specific rule reference) what "determine" means, relative to "whistling." The wording of the second referee's responsibilities appears to be inconsistent.

Seems to me that the responsibilities should be written more clearly. Why do some say "whistle," but others say, "determine"? Wouldn't "determine" be a necessary requirement prior to "whistling"???

Further, what is the purpose of "determining" a violation, but not acting on that determination (either with a discrete or a whistle)?
Usually rules questions refer to if nothing else unusual has occurred unless otherwise specified. So try to base your interpretations and answers based on that. Think of not so much what the R2 can eventually do, but what the R2 is expected to IMMEDIATELY do. I would not want the R2 to immediately whistle an illegal attack (after "determining" the fault, the R2 should first discretely alert the R1 to the fault and try to get the R1 to whistle it, but can eventually if the R1 does not), but I would definitely expect the R2 immediately whistle an antenna fault on his/her side of the net, as that has been defined as a primary responsibility for the R2.

Same logic applies on a failed pancake attempt.
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee