View Single Post
Old Wed Aug 13, 2014, 10:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
This is to what I am referring:

If the movement of the catcher caused the collision, I would not apply this rule and play on.

8.7.Q makes no mention of intent (you know that, just sayin') nor what causes to collision though there is the need for some level of consideration.

It isn't as if the catcher went charging up the line at the runner, but stepped into a defensive position of the plate that was in the runner's path. A defender with the ball is allowed, actually expected to defend the base.

I'm simply stating that the catcher is the one who moved toward the runner that may or may not have caused the collision is not cause to not make the call.
I think you have to look at it similar to a block/charge in basketball. If the fielder has possession of the ball and is in "defensive position", even if they are moving, you have a foul on the offense for the contact.

In the event the offensive player has established their path to the plate and the defensive player steps in so late that the offensive player can not react to the movement of the defensive player, you are more likely going to have a crash and no call, in my opinion, unless something else happens to dictate MC be called.