View Single Post
Old Wed Aug 13, 2014, 09:55pm
Official Forum Member

Had another play at the plate tonight that almost resulted in an ejection. Similar situation, with a runner coming home and the throw easily beats the runner to the plate. F1 (covering home since it's Co-Rec) catches the ball and is standing slightly in front of the plate, but reaches to apply the tag. The runner continues running in a straight line and runs through the tag causing F1 to spin about half way around and drop the ball.

What's the call on this. The runner made no attempt to dislodge the ball and the only contact between the runner and F1 was with the arm and glove of F1 during the tag attempt.

My ruling was ................. eventually safe, since the runner never actually touched the plate. F1 was so upset arguing that he never listened to the bench telling him I think the runner missed the plate.

I did not deem the act of the runner to be interference because it was simply contact while a tag was being applied to the runner. This is different then the OP in which the contact was not just with the tagging portion of the player, but a body to body avoidable collision.