View Single Post
Old Mon Aug 11, 2014, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

What's the call and rule reference (ASA)

I had the following situations Sunday during a Co-WRECK city league game. We use ASA rules unless modified by league policy.

Defensive team is up 16-1 (15 run mercy rule)

1 out, R1 at 3b, R2 at 1b, B3 hits a ground ball to F5. R1 comes home. F5 throws home to F2 who catches the ball while standing on the plate. Her team mates are yelling for her to tag the runner, so as she attempts to tag the runner by stepping toward the runner, the runner, prior to touching home plate runs into her, knocking both the runner and F2 down. The ball pops out. I kill the play and call the runner out for the contact. One of the bench players goes ballistic and starts dropping F-bombs. I promptly eject him from the game.

The player is leaving the bench area still yelling up a storm. We get ready to continue the game the ejected individual is standing behind the single set of bleachers still making a scene. At this time I stop play and inform him he needs to leave the vicinity of the field, which he slowly does, yelling all the way to the parking lot.

He then decides he is going to be "that guy" and yell at me from the parking lot, which unfortunately is still within clear earshot of the field down the RF line.

Finally my site supervisor, who was on an adjacent field walks over and I tell him to inform the player he needs to shut up.

Game ends a few plays later. I am standing on the field emailing my officials and league supervisors and he comes back (with the site supervisor) to get something he left in the dugout, and decides to get a few more (non-profane) yells in.

What is the rule reference for the play at the plate (I think it is 8-7Q)? In that situation, the next play should be 2 outs with runners at 1st and second correct?

Also, what is the rule reference for ejecting the player for being an unsportsmanlike idiot? I was looking this up for ejection and I could find find an ASA rule reference which allows me to eject a player for unsportsmanlike conduct (I had another idiot get himself tossed a week before).

Also, one other play from this game. Fist inning, first batter, ground ball to F6, who throws to F3. The throw hits the glove of F3 and bounces right up into her face. She immediately grabs her face as the ball bounces away. I immediately kill the play due to the possibility of a significant injury to F3. What should I do with the runner who legally attained first base and was going to attempt to make it to second before I killed the play? Do I have the authority to put the runner on second base because in my judgment that's where she would have ended up had I not killed the play?