View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 31, 2014, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Block/PC + Positioning (video)

I guess I'm still in camp learning/teaching mode...after 8 of them. Or 9. I lost count.

In my never ending search for plays I saw this one and it brought to mind a few things picked up over the summer, especially in my last two camps.

I put in freezes at three points in the replay.

1. The L is at close down as the play comes into frontcourt on his side. Also, his shoulders are parallel to the end line. I heard more than a few times: If the ball is coming down the L's "lane" - between the sideline and FTLE on their side - go to a point between wide angle and close down to work outside in. Also, keep your shoulders at a 45-degree angle to the end line.

2. The L's body is facing the wrong way, meaning he won't be able to see into the lane (which is where the BH/dribbler is going) without turning his head and body all the way around. This leads to...

3. I froze the video at the point where it appears the defender had both feet on the floor with her torso facing the new BH/dribbler. I'm not sure whether the call was correct because I can't see the defender's heels but in relation to the RA but I feel it should have been a PC. Regardless, I think the L was guessing on whether the defender obtained LGP...and it all goes back to point #1.

Yes, I now realize/remember it wouldn't be an RA play due to the offensive player beginning her move in the LDB...my mistake. See below.

D. Williamson spoke to us in DC about not being "sucked into the paint" as the L. She joked that she's going to call every school and ask them to check for a black hole next to the lane that draws in all of us. I know I'm going to try to be more conscious in 3-person games but also in my HS/2-person games.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)

Last edited by JetMetFan; Thu Jul 31, 2014 at 02:25pm.