View Single Post
Old Tue Jul 29, 2014, 11:21pm
AremRed

1. Haven't really nailed down a routine. I usually point directions for everyone's benefit, especially mine.

2. Check the clock. Look at each partner. Loud and long tweet. Drop whistle and move to toss.

3. I toss with one hand. I keep the ball at the same level in my hand while walking in and go straight up from there. No dipping down to tip off the jumpers (see what I did there?).

As an aside, I hate talking to the jumpers or players around the circle prior to the toss. I don't want to start the game being overly officious. I do the bare minimum required by rule; once I start going in to toss I don't stop unless there is obvious movement by a player who shouldn't be moving. The jump ball only happens once a game, assuming the R is doing his job correctly. The faster we get the ball in play the better.

PS: In the last two weeks I have both been jacked in the face by a jumper's elbow and chopped in the nuts by a jumper's knee. Not my lucky month. (And no, the incidents had nothing to do with making sure the jumpers were far enough apart).