View Single Post
Old Fri Jul 18, 2014, 08:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
Yeah, great.

Here's the problem: I had a situation during a weekend ASA tourney where an ODB did pick up a live ball with a runner on base. The runner was on third, and was on her way home after the catcher muffed the pitch. No way the defense was going to make a play on her, but when the ODB picked up the ball, the runner hadn't reached home yet. So I ruled a dead ball, and sent the runner back to third.

Of course, that opened up a whine session by both coaches. The OC wanted the run to score since she would have easily made it despite the ODB's bonehead mistake. That one was easily quelled because the rule on blocked balls is an immediate dead ball and runners return to the last base touched at the time of the dead ball call.

The DC wanted the runner ruled out because of interference. I said there was no interference since there was no chance of a play. But when I went back to look for the rule on blocked balls by an offensive player, I couldn't find anything to justify my call.

You would think that ASA could make a reference to a blocked ball by an offensive player or coach under rule 8-5-G EXCEPTION 3, and in RS #33H. But both only refer to equipment. They refer to it under the Definition of Blocked Ball, but that's it.
You've been told which rule to use (and no, it's not blocked ball). I'm not sure what you're saying here. You did right - coaches fought for what they wanted and were both wrong. Typical day on the field, isn't it?

No out because there was no play. No run because ODB caused you to kill the play before his runner had crossed the plate. Right call. What's the issue?

West Houston Mike