View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 17, 2014, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
The only thing close refers to blocked balls by loose equipment in RS #17, where if a play is not apparent, no one is called out. But can you have a similar "blocked ball" situation involving players or coaches where an out is not warranted? The definition of Blocked Ball in Rule 1 does refer to a person not engaged in the game, but I cannot find anything under Rule 8, particularly 8-8, that references a scenario involving a blocked ball by a person.

Or am I just not looking in the right place?
IMO, an offensive player that is not a batter, batter-runner or runner is not engaged in the game All offensive personnel are required to avoid committing an act of INT. Remember, even the ODB is allowed to leave their assigned area to direct a runner, but that rule does not absolve them from INT.

Example of BB without INT is what I had a couple years ago. A ball thrown from RF rolled through the infield, but runners had come to a stop on their respective bases and no fielder was chasing the ball. The 3B coach stopped the ball with her foot. If she did not, it would have just rolled another 10-12' to the fence, but there still was no possible play since the defense was not making an effort. In turn, I could not let play continue since the coach stopped the ball.

I killed it and ruled a blocked ball. You have to kill it