View Single Post
Old Tue Jul 15, 2014, 11:43am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
NFHS released 2015 rule changes for Softball and Baseball.

Here is the link: NFHS | Rules Changes Approved in High School Baseball, Softball

Here are the two paragraphs relative to softball:

Has anybody ever seen a batters and/or catcher's helmet with a "mirror-like" surface?

Andy:

The answer to your question is yes, three times to be exact.

1) Midway through the H.S. baseball season, the OhioHSAA issued a memo that included a photograph of a batting helmet with a chrome finish. The OhioHSAA memo (which did not reference the NFHS but the 2014-15 Rule Changes leads me to believe that questions regarding this type of finish were being raised around the country) stated that this type of finish was illegal.

2) I was in a Dick's Sporting Goods store in early June and I saw one for sale. I mentioned to a salesman that the batting helmet was illegal. He said that he knew that and he agreed that they should be illegal because of the finish, but he said that he had sold a number of them none-the-less.

3) Mark, Jr., and I were umpiring a H.S. summer league baseball game (NFHS Baseball Rules) when a batter came to the Plate wearing one. We told him he couldn't wear it and he complied without complaining.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio