View Single Post
Old Tue Jul 15, 2014, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFLguy View Post
Improvised a Modified Base Mechanic - fuggetabout starting in "A". Start in "B" and just shuttle back and forth with "C".

Not to hijack the reason for this thread, but could you give more information on this. In my declining years, I'm interested in conservation of energy. The idea seems to allow the base umpire to do just that. I feel I waste a lot of energy just running around to get into position for what are mostly routine calls. Might work at the high school level. Have you tried this? Anyone else?
Yes, as Steve said....I have used this starting position before. When I was assigned 6 games in a row at a tournament due to some out of town umpires not showing up. It does save steps, but you do give up the best view of the pitcher's feet to judge the illegal pitch.

If I recall correctly, an ASA NUS member was pushing for FP umpires to start in the B position with no runners on about 15 years ago. That particular person is no longer involved with ASA. I believe he even went so far as to requiring this at a National Tournament he was the UIC for.