View Single Post
Old Tue Jul 15, 2014, 09:40am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFLguy View Post
Improvised a Modified Base Mechanic - fuggetabout starting in "A". Start in "B" and just shuttle back and forth with "C".

Not to hijack the reason for this thread, but could you give more information on this. In my declining years, I'm interested in conservation of energy. The idea seems to allow the base umpire to do just that. I feel I waste a lot of energy just running around to get into position for what are mostly routine calls. Might work at the high school level. Have you tried this? Anyone else?
I've heard of it, but have never seen anyone actually start out in B with no runners. I guess the theory is that that's where you'll end up anyway on batted balls in the infield, or on balls to the outfield if you "rim" rather than button-hook in. So it does tend to minimize the need to move as much compared to starting in A.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker