View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 03, 2014, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
I worked an ASA States 16U tournament last weekend.

We had an interesting play that developed. R1 on third, R2 on second, no outs. B3 hit a slow grounder in F6's direction. Runners were taking off. R2 bumped into F6. Partner on the bases called a dead ball and R2 out for interference. F6 still managed to field the ball and throw to F3 prior to the BR reaching first base (obviously moot).

When the dust settled and we looked around, we had no runners anywhere.

R1 apparently thought she had scored, R2 was out for INT, and BR thought she was out on the throw to F3.

Partner and I discussed and returned R1 to third and awarded BR first. Now with one out.

Both coaches must never had seen an INT call before. We were questioned by both of them about run should score, F6 was still able to make a play so why INT, why not a double play, and probably a couple more.

As we're walking through the parking lot after the game, a local umpire who was working on the ground crew was sitting in his lawn chair w/ his umpire manual. He tried to tell us that we messed up the call on that play and that we should have had a double play. He alternately mentioned that the BR should have been out or that the runner from third should have been out.

My partner wanted to discuss with him. I did not and told him so.

Other than that quirky play, the game was competitive and was decided by 1 run. Loser's bracket, so a team was eliminated.
Had to apply the same rule recently, met with both partners to confirm the timing. Explained it to the coach, who then asked the other two if that was the rule.