View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 02, 2014, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

A Football story but...

My second year as an official I was WH for a JV game. Close game... Home team scores with about 1:20 left and they go for 2 to tie but fail so they onside kick.

The ball bounces off of a K player at K's 48 and then is recovered by K at R's 45. SInce there was first touching by K, R gets the ball and runs out the clock. Home team fans are screaming their head off that it should be a rekick because of the "penalty" for touching the ball before it went 10 yards.

This was a JV game at a rural consolidated high school in Illinois, we've got no dressing room and we're parked somewhere in the midst of the parking lot. We jog off the field and are on the way to our car and this guy is with us from the gate on yelling at us about the onside kick. The guy who was LJ is trying to reason with him...we get to the car and the LJ (who is an idiot) says he'll show the dad the rule book. The dad who just happens to be parked next to us, reaches over the side of his pick-up and says, "I'll show you something" and picks up a rifle.

I got in the car and said, "{LJ's name} shut-up and get in the car"...we were rolling before his door even closed.