View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 02, 2003, 02:49pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Lotto

To establish initial legal guarding position on the player with the ball:
a. The guard shall have both feet touching the playing court....
b. The guard's torso shall face the opponent.

There's a little more there, but to establish legal guarding position on a player with the ball, at some point you must be both "set" and "square," to use Sam's terms. (Well, technically the feet don't have to 100% face the offensive player...)

By the way, I don't see anything in this part of the NCAA rules about moving backwards or obliquely. The statement in 4-33.4 is: "The guard may maintain guarding position in the path of the dribbler, provided that the guard does not charge into the dribbler nor otherwise cause contact as in Rule 10-19.2 and 10-19.3." [/B]
Lotto,my point was that Sam's answer for #1 was incomplete.You do have to establish a legal guarding position,as per the criteria that you outlined above.After you have established that legal guarding position,you do NOT have to maintain those criteria(set,square) to have a foul on the dribbler.

NCAA rule 10-19AR20 basically says that-the defender can move in any direction after the legal guarding position is attained,except towards the dribbler.I paraphrased it for Tim above.