View Single Post
Old Fri Jun 27, 2014, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
I guess you missed my point.

I was trying to address your comment that the BU should ask for something specific. He did. He thought he saw a tag so he ruled an out, and then he goes to the PU for help after the coach asked him to, and asks the PU if there was a tag.

Should the PU answer his specific question that there was no tag, and offer no more assistance because that's all that was asked of him? Or should the PU discuss the whole play and tell the BU there was no tag, but there was an out because F3 stepped on the bag?

In other words, are you an advocate for specificity, or an advocate for getting the call correct?
In this case, specificity.
As BU I would only go to my partner with something specific, typically looking for a yes/no response..
Now there are questions that have a yes/no response that are not specific enough, like "Did I kick that call?"

I would wait for DC to come out and ask for help on unpulling the foot on the initial play.

Now if this was a rec game and a young umpire, I may be inclined to cut the partner some slack and use it as a teaching moment. The OP has all the makings of this. And if so, I would have asked why the tag call was relevant to the play.