View Single Post
Old Fri Jun 27, 2014, 01:25pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcannizzo View Post
So, BU screws the pooch twice?
a.) calls BR "Safe - Off the Base!" because of missing the white base?
Should have called Out before the attempted swipe tag.

b.) calls BR Out on an unseen tag, but announces TAG! OUT! ?
Should have called Safe and then gone for help if asked.

It is really hard for me to un-ring an Out without throwing your partner under the bus. BU "saw" the tag that didn't happen - judgement.
What is the lesser of two evils here?
- simply eat a bad judgement call
- or have the call overturned validating/emphasizing the mistake

IMHO the former will be forgotten and forgiven much quicker than the latter. I think we have all seen this happen setting the shit-storm in motion.
I see it as throwing good money after bad.

This would be discussed in great detail in the post-game debrief.
I guess you missed my point.

I was trying to address your comment that the BU should ask for something specific. He did. He thought he saw a tag so he ruled an out, and then he goes to the PU for help after the coach asked him to, and asks the PU if there was a tag.

Should the PU answer his specific question that there was no tag, and offer no more assistance because that's all that was asked of him? Or should the PU discuss the whole play and tell the BU there was no tag, but there was an out because F3 stepped on the bag?

In other words, are you an advocate for specificity, or an advocate for getting the call correct?
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker