View Single Post
Old Thu Jun 19, 2014, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp279 View Post
If the runner bumps into the fielder getting a grounder BEFORE the ball touches her glove (she's waiting on it) is that considered INTERFERENCE since she has NOT yet handled the ball? (The argument brought up to me was in MLB rules it can be in the umpires judgment on how close the ball is and how close the fielder is to getting the ball for an obstruction call). Then flip that same scenario. The other argument was it is OBSTRUCTION on the fielder for getting in the runner's path (Which I object to). Essentially, the disagreement with our group is where the ball is. I was under the impression the fielder had to have the ball under the more recent USSSA rules before the call is made for interference.
Thanks.
If the fielder is the one who has the play and the runner's "bump" hinders or impedes that fielder's access to the ball, it is INT. Actual possession of the ball not needed if the runner hinders or impedes that fielder's access to the ball.

Fixed the red word in your question, but no it is not OBS if the fielder is the one who has the play.

We sometimes say "protected" in relation to the fielder who has the play as opposed to another fielder ITUJ having the play and the one "bumped" is just there.