Thread: Final TO
View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 02, 2003, 10:28am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Well, we've had an ongoing discussion about whether or not an official should inform a coach when that coach has used his/her last time out.

So, while I was at camp this weekend, I managed to ask every single observer about it. (I didn't ask them as a group. I sought them out one-by-one.) I simply asked if the official should inform the coach, or stay away (so as to avoid any unpleasantness) and let the coach's assistants inform him.

Hank Nichols (coordinator of NCAA officials), Bob D'Amato (I'm sure I spelled it wrong, but he works the ACC and Big East, among others), Marty Shapiro, Don Shea (NBA and SEC), Tom Lopes (2003 Final Four official), and Jeff Nichols all said that you tell the coach, or at least tell an assistant. They said that there's simply no good reason not to, and it prevents a coach from trying to blame you later if he takes an excessive TO.

The dissenter of the group was Edgar Cartotto. He said the official should "NEVER" go to the team's huddle. His reason was not to avoid trouble, however. He was more concerned that it makes the official look like he's trying to shmooze with the coach.

I just thought I'd share the views of several D1 officials, as well as a couple assignors (not to mention the coordinator of NCAA officials). Obviously, this does not close any debate about the subject, b/c even the observers weren't unanimous. However, I think it's helpful to know how some of the best in the country feel about it.
Edgar is correct. I have heard him say many times do not go sticking your nose into a team's huddle. Both NFHS and NCAA Men's/Women's rules state that a game official is to notify the coach when his/her team has used its last timeout.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio