View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 10, 2014, 12:43pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
MLB is not a precedent for Fed fastpitch. Irrelevant. Completely different game played by completely different people. And, among all of this, they have professional (more or less) scorekeepers in MLB.
For most intents and purposes, I agree. But cite the completely different rule or interpretation out of the FED Fastpitch rule book or case book that would allow for a completely different ruling than what happened in the MLB case. I'm pretty certain you won't find one.

That's my point. You base your argument on when a proper protest should have been lodged by the coach when the run was initially disallowed. The protest rule in FED Fastpitch is virtually identical with that of the MLB. And in the MLB game, there was no protest lodged when the run was disallowed. That didn't matter.

And in the MLB game, it wasn't a professional scorekeeper who was involved in the situation. From the article that was previously linked:

Quote:
The bizarre sequence started with Baltimore leading 2-1 in the top of the third. Nick Markakis was on third base and Miguel Tejada on first with one out when Ramon Hernandez hit a line drive to center field.

Indians outfielder Grady Sizemore made a diving catch. Markakis tagged up, headed for home and appeared to cross the plate before Tejada doubled off first. Plate umpire Marvin Hudson waved off the run.

Orioles bench coach Tom Trebelhorn disputed Hudson's call before the start of the fourth, and Hudson then conferred with [crew chief Ed] Montague and the other umpires.

"We kicked it around and now I'm having a brain cramp on it," Montague said. "So I sent Bill (umpire Bill Miller) in, I said 'You know what, cause we're debating, you go in. Lets make it 100 percent sure."'

Miller checked the rule and said the run should have counted. Montague was vague about why it took until the sixth to make the change, saying "it kind of went on" with the umpires conferring with the managers.

"It was my screw up and we can't go off of umpire's error," he said. "What's right is right. We have to score the run."
No involvement of a scorekeeper here. The PU waved off the run, then the crew chief added it three innings later despite no protest being lodged.

Bottom line: This bizarre scenario played out twice, and both times the results were the same. Yes, completely different sports, but under the same fundamental rules.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker