View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 09, 2014, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Leaving that aside (appeal v protest), he does validate my view that this is not a mere scorekeeping error. It is an erroneous ruling by the umpires, and cannot be corrected unless it is done within the time allowed or follows proper protest procedure if corrected later (replay from the point of the overruled ruling).

I've read both Steve's and Mike's responses, but remain unconvinced (no disrespect intended).

And, neither am I convinced by an argument around ad hocing things since protests are not allowed by the state high school association. If protests are not allowed, they are not allowed, which means everyone must live with the incorrect ruling.
Tom, I've "known" you for years on this and other messageboards. No disrespect was read into you remaining unconvinced. There, frankly, isn't any clearly right answer.

At the worst, absent anything absolutely definitive, I would go back to our purpose in being there; to make the game follow the rules intended to promote a fairness and equity into the game. Arbitrarily refusing to score a run that has scored under the rules is simply not why we are there.

The following is certainly a hyperbolic extension, but, just suppose:

During a game, the umpire tells the scorekeeper to change the score; to ANYTHING other than the correct score. Let's say he subtracts two runs from one team because he didn't like the conversations he had with their head coach. The umpire demands that the new score be posted, despite the absence of any rule support, or support of either scorebook (obviously).

In this league, the rule is "no protests allowed". The scorekeeper believes the umpire has that authority, and changes the score.

So my question is, is the real score the score of the game, or what the umpire says it is? There is no obvious procedure to change it back; or should the "league" just do what's right?