View Single Post
Old Sat Jun 07, 2014, 05:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
The rule exception was intended to award more than one base to prevent a fielder, deep in a corner, from intentionally carrying the ball out of play on purpose to save a base. It was NOT intended to be used for the case we're describing.

Stretching as far as you just did is rather silly, don't you think?
I'm not sure I could comment on what the intent of the exception is. It clearly intends to prevent the fielder from intentionally taking the ball out of play. But I don't have any idea what the intent of the rules for the play we're talking about is. The case play is quite clear that it should be a one base award. But not because we can be expected to figure the players intent.

Stretching as far as I did was meant to make a point. Sometimes stretching a ruling to it's breaking point is a good way to understand whether it is sensible or not. This is I think one of these cases. I would hope we can all agree that whether a coach tells a player why she's doing something shouldn't determine the result of a play. But in my example using the referenced ruling it would have.