View Single Post
Old Sat Jun 07, 2014, 09:54am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post
This line of reasoning is in my mind somewhat specious. Imagine that before the game you're going to get the coach and you hear him tell his team this:
We're playing with a temporary fence today. If you end up falling over it and the ball is still in play, grab it immediately and throw it in. Don't climb back over the fence first.
Wow. That would take one vivid imagination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post
The dugout case play is clear that legitimate attempts to play the ball that result in the ball becoming dead are one base awards. I'm not going to try and determine if the fielder new she wasn't supposed to field the ball; I'm just going to apply that. (Though frankly I wish I could distinguish it as I think this should be a two base award.)
The case play also addresses something that is much more likely to happen in high school play than a player falling over a temporary fence and then reaching into LBT to pick up the ball and throw it in. But I feel the case play gets the right point across from a spirit and intent perspective.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker