View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 03, 2014, 12:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
That's for a stationary defender. Diggins was actually a moving defender, and at the speed she was moving, she probably should have been afforded two steps.

If a blind screen is set on a stationary defender, the defender must be given one normal step to change direction and attempt to avoid contact. If a screen is set on a moving defender, the defender gets a minimum of one step and a maximum of two steps, depending on the speed and distance of the defender.

Bottom line? Illegal screen.
Remember, I said "at least" . It could have been two steps/strides:

Quote:
WNBA Rule 12-B-III: "A player who sets a screen shall not...(3) assume a position so near a moving opponent she is not given the opportunity to stop and/or change direction before making illegal contact...the speed of the opponent being screened will determine what the screener's stationary position may be. This position will vary and may be one or two steps or strides from her opponent.
It's a matter of judgment but I'll agree in this case two probably would've been good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
This clip is an example of the difference between the men's and women's games. On the men's side this a hard, but legal screen. On the women's side this will almost always be called a foul.
I've seen it called in NBA games but there shouldn't be a difference. The wording in the WNBA rule book is exactly the same as that in the NBA rule book.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)

Last edited by JetMetFan; Tue Jun 03, 2014 at 04:10pm.