View Single Post
Old Thu May 29, 2014, 11:24pm
Official Forum Member

Warning: Possible overanalysis ahead. Pretending to be an evaluator tonight. Here's the commercial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Vq3efsguUQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
Anyone else seen the commercial with softball game going on? Opening scene the pitcher is leaping.
Yup, nice RH batter's box/home plate hi-def view of classic leaping at 0:09. (Too bad you don't get that solid a view once you're set. At least she drags through the rest of the pitch.) Illegal pitch in any league I've worked where the players aren't guys. I'm calling that from first base every time....

Quote:
Originally Posted by azbigdawg View Post
First base ump is WAY too close...
...but of course if like this guy I start so far foul that the 1b coach is asking for his coaching box back, how can you see the leap?!? This is obviously a 2-man game, so he's terribly out of position for the entirety of this double play. Not only is he straight-lined on the throw to first, he's straight-lined and 75 feet from that sweet neighborhood play at 2nd @ 0:17. (Not sure F6 ever touched 2B; I still have an out on this.)

IMHO it would be impossible to be more out of position. On the other hand, the sell-out is decent. He doesn't step through it, but if he had, he'd have been on top of F3. He doesn't appear to have an indicator or a brush, so...there's that too. Frankly, as a mass-media representation of our avocation, I'm just happy the shirt is tucked in, hat brim forward, and the shirt is the right color. (Also, the plate ump's shin guards aren't strapped to the outside of his pants.)

Clinics for beginners to 2-man should show this as a "DON'T do this" video.

Good scoop by the F3 actress. I wonder how many takes this took.

In another vein, apparently Northwestern's marketing dept thinks that only baseball is worked three-man: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhYmvHrCNCc Nice four-stitch plate hat on the 3B umpire (visible at 0:10 and 0:22). Dork.

Last edited by teebob21; Fri May 30, 2014 at 01:28am. Reason: deleted extraneous apostrophe's (sic)