View Single Post
Old Tue May 27, 2014, 07:51pm
Official Forum Member

Hit by pitch, without contact?

I read this write-up of the Baylor/Georgia Super Regional. I didn't see the game, but apparently "hit by pitch, sans contact" is a thing? What the hell is ESPN talking about? Can I get a citation from someone? (My college rulebook suffered mortal injury at the hands of my 2 year old, so I can't look it up right now.)

Quote:
The short-term gamble came in deciding Georgia slugger Alex Hugo wouldn't get to swing the bat. After Hugo gave Georgia a 1-0 lead with a home run in the first inning, the second consecutive plate appearance in which she hit a home run off Whitney Canion, Baylor intentionally put her on base the next three times she batted. (Due to a quirk in the rules, one of the free passes was officially credited as hit-by-pitch, sans contact).
2014 NCAA softball tournament -- Baylor Bears, Louisiana-Lafayette Ragin' Cajuns both win Saturday to advance to Women's College World Series [WARNING: Video auto-play advertisement on linked page]

I found the official box score too. Sure enough, 1-for-1 with 2 BB and 1 HBP for Hugo. HR in the 1st inning, HBP on 2-0 pitch in the 3rd inning. Is the quirk in the rules "they plunked her with the third pitch", a la rule 11.15.1?
Georgia vs Baylor - DI Softball | NCAA.com

Last edited by teebob21; Tue May 27, 2014 at 08:02pm. Reason: link to box score