Thread: D3K differences
View Single Post
Old Thu May 22, 2014, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

Had this a few weeks ago in HS.

Nobody on, 2 out. D3K, batter-runner (since it was a D3K) starts walking toward the first base dugout, not toward the base.

The defense walks toward their dugout and huddles inside live ball territory. The first base coach all the while is yelling at the batter to run to first. about 2 steps from the dugout, the BR takes off to first. I call her safe, then she takes off for second and third while the defense comes on the field to get the ball the catcher had rolled to the pitching circle.

The DC coach comes out to argue. The ruling from the casebook is pretty clear. The BR did not enter dead ball territory, nor did the infields ever leave the diamond (they stayed in live ball territory to huddle). The third ruling from the casebook would not apply since it is another pitching being delivered.

The diamond, for this casebook ruling is defined as live ball territory.

I spent several minutes trying to explain this call to the coach after the game as well, using the rulebook as evidence.

As far as I know, the rule codes are pretty similar on when a BR is out on a D3K.