View Single Post
Old Tue Jul 01, 2003, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

WMB,
The way I think of it is this, there is a play at the plate, throw from 2nd base is coming in Runner is heading toward the plate hard. Catcher sets up with complete shin guard on ground across plate body on top blocking the entire plate. Runner starts to slide now at that moment as an umpire you have to FREEZE the play in your mind and determine where is the ball and where is the runner? If the ball is 4 feet from F2's glove and the runner is 6 inches from catchers foot I would have obstruction. If ball is 6 inches from glove and runner is 4 feet I have nothing. And as Dakota mentioned if both are same distance then it's going to be a trainwreck, nothing else. But the only thing I disagree with is if the runner touches the shin guard at the same time the ball hits the glove, I would have obstruction as the runner is 4" (width of F2's leg) from plate and ball is 20" (height of players glove when caught).

Dakota,
If R's foot is on top of F's foot prior to ball arrival I would have obstruction R safe.

Okay guys I layed MO out there I am ready to take my lumps!