View Single Post
Old Fri May 16, 2014, 08:05am
Official Forum Member

Yes, I am aware of the ASA rule. And, no, I couldn't find a comparable rule for NFHS after scouring the rule book and the case book. I wondered if maybe there was an interpretation covering this, out there somewhere, and figured that if there was somebody on this board would know about it.

If I'm the umpire on the field and I'm forced to rule on the spot, I'm going to allow her return just because the rules don't say she can't come back in.

The slightly longer story on how this came up...

High school playoff game. Pitcher for one school is doing a lights out job. However, she apparently has some medical issues and (it's later determined) is having an adverse reaction to a medication.

While in the dugout between innings, the pitcher had an episode that affected her breathing and she actually seemed to lose consciousness momentarily.

Upon learning this, the plate umpire ordered the player's removal from the game. I'm getting some second hand accounts here: Apparently he didn't remove her under the concussion guidelines, but just under the general guise of "safety".

Inserting personal opinion here: If he did remove her, I think that he overstepped his bounds. If a concussion is not suspected, then I think that the player's medical status should be left to her coach/team staff/parents.

So, this team is reduced to eight players and is taking an out in the pitcher's spot. Then the rain hits!

The game was suspended, to be resumed at the same point it ended on another day. This brought up the question of whether or not the pitcher who was removed by the umpire would be eligible to re-enter when the game is resumed.

Ya gotta love playoff softball!