View Single Post
Old Thu May 15, 2014, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

This has always bugged me

While being the BU in a high school varsity game between to rival schools (and some great baseball being played) the situation was this:

Bottom of the last inning, score tied, bases loaded, outs don't matter (partially because I can't remember how many). Ball is live. Pitcher with ball in his glove step on the mound in the set position. As soon as the pitcher steps on the rubber I focus on him. While the runners were on their bases getting signals from the coach, the pitcher, while still on the rubber, pulls the ball out of his glove and down to his side.

This is balk, correct?

I stood up and started to call it. But a lot of things crossed my mind in those couple of seconds: A balk would have ended this great game. I don't think anyone seen it except me. I don't think he was trying to do anything tricky - I think he just didn't know.

Then I thought to myself, "what if the other coach also seen it and then questioned why I didn't call it?" Would I have pretended not have seen it?

What would you have done? No harm no foul?

Do you let the type of game (Varsity, Rivals, 0-0 game in the 7th, etc.) dictate how you ump? Tighter strike zone, etc.

I think this no-balk call is really the only thing I've ever questioned myself on over the years. Thought I would throw this out there.