View Single Post
Old Wed May 14, 2014, 08:00am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASA/NYSSOBLUE View Post
Had a tournament sitch like that once : Had someone brand new working the bases, so R1 on 1B, grounder to 2B, R1 runs into F1 , knocks her over and STAYS there for like 2 seconds, 2B finally gets a chance to make a way late throw to 1B, I wait a second for my unsure partner, and finally yell, DEAD BALL! Got R1 out on the tag, then got her for INT, as she prevented 2B from completing the DP. Of course, the OC went ballistic on the second out.
Hmmmm. Where was the Obstruction call?

I'm assuming you meant that R1 ran into F3. If that's the case, unless she went out of her way to purposely collide with F3, that's Obstruction. The moment that F4 tags R1 out, you then have to kill play and award R1 second base due to the Obstruction. The fact that R1 held down F3 for two seconds (and two seconds really isn't that much time in my mind to warrant an interference call; she could have been dazed from the collision) has no bearing on the play because there would have been no follow-up play on the BR allowed.

Unless I'm seeing things differently than what you describe, I've got runners at first and second here, not two outs.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker