View Single Post
Old Tue May 13, 2014, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
Doesn't matter if they're volunteer or paid. If they're willing to work the games, they should learn the trade.

I spent my first ten years strictly umpiring Little League Baseball. Never got paid a dime. But I read rule books, case books, and authoritative interpretations, attended clinics, and actively participated in a number of internet discussion boards. I also encouraged my fellow volunteer umpires to do the same.
You are to be commended for that - but you are the exception. I work LL ball once a year - at the end when a nearby league brings in real, paid umpires. I'm always paired (or trio'd) with 1 or 2 umpires they've been using all year. And they scare the crap out of me. I've had them argue with me that the hands ARE part of the bat. I've had them argue that under no circumstances can you award a base that the runner didn't attempt to get to after they were obstructed. I've had them call TIE! on a banger at first. I've had them call time with two runners on the same base. I've had them call a foul-tip-strikeout on a ball that went bat-mask-ground. I've had one guy flat out insist that he would never eject a coach after he got berated by one and we were discussing it between games. "It's not about me, it's about the kids" - so when he botched the hell out of a call and the same coach came flying out - experienced partner and I let him fly in the wind. 5 minutes. No ejection.

And they "get by" with this nonsense all season until their tournaments... and the other "real" umpires and I leave the place stunned and with tons of stories like those I just mentioned.

West Houston Mike