Thread: 10 run rule?
View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 30, 2003, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

BadAxe,

I have worked with some very very good umpires and some very very HORRIBLE umpires and have let them know when I thought they were wrong. Just as I would expect the same in return.

How I approached them, was with constructive critizism. Most of the time these officials just didn't know the proper rules or correct mechanics. Not because they were horrible, but because no one had ever showed them how.
This is the case many of times.

Unfortunately, most officials only get to practice in real games. Unlike players and coaches that have just practice, to get better, officials don't get that priviledge. In most areas you have on the job training from your first assignment and then you have to get better each time. However, at all times you are expected to be perfect, from the first to the last game. WOW talk about pressure.

So yes, we do stick together and defend even the slightest critzism because we know what it was like during our training years. Which by the way, never end.

You see, just as your League is growing and learning, so are the officials.

Finally, as stated in my original reply, discuss all the situations at the pregame conference, just so everyone knows up front.Each League can be different.

Good Luck