View Single Post
Old Thu May 08, 2014, 11:44am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltllng View Post
Why was the "Outside of the lane area" added to the rational?
Does this makes it seem that this type of contact is "allowed" in the lane area?

We have been told thru emphasis during 13-14 that all of this contact no matter where on the court must be called consistantly as a foul.

If you really read rule 10-6, this seems like a way to re-write/add to articles 1, 2, 3 & 4, and make sure that referees do not subjectively decide whether or not the defense has impeded the progress of the ball handler/dribbler.
This is purely a guess. I think this was done so that we would not penalize players automatically if the contact took place in the lane. It is understandable that in the lane or lane area that touching the ball handler is going to be common. They probably did not want to go that far in the rules to suggest any touching in the lane should be called no matter what. That is something I will certainly ask for clarification for in the coming weeks. And I know that even in my state before this rules change, they clarified that if hands were touching the ball handler and the hands were "retreating" or in front of their body, not trying to extend or direct the opponent, then we could pass on that kind of contact.

Again I am sure each state will have some kind of interpretation for what they feel is acceptable. Our higher-ups told us basically similar stuff as you have stated and they made it a state

And the thing that also matters still, there is a rule for incidental contact. They did not change 4-27 about movement and when contact is based on "advantage/disadvantage" on some level, still in the rulebook.

Peace