View Single Post
Old Wed May 07, 2014, 11:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
Does anyone else foresee the new free throw rule leading to a lot of illegal pushing and jockeying for position upon release?

I think the new rule will make our jobs a little easier with regard to lane violations, but I see things getting more physical after release...especially with boys.
Most likely, but the big point I think is that under old rule of waiting until it hit, if you went even a little early, it was a big advantage. Now if you go a little early, it's not as much of an advantage because the time it takes for the ball to get to the rim. I think the whole point was to make the defense get what NFHS deems to be the "correct" amount of rebounds on missed shots. They have a figure of what they feel is correct and keep adjusting the rule until they get there. Leaving block empty seemed to work for a bit but now that players are going in back of the low player, it's actually easier I think than when the low block was occupied by defense. So now that it's the release, even if that offensive player leaves a split second early, the ball hasn't even got there yet so not as much as an advantage. Of course, I could just be crazy and 100% wrong, but that's the way I see it.