Thread: 39 ways to balk
View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 30, 2003, 08:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Blaine Gallant
Warren:

Jim's approach is very solid and has a ton of common sense - something that is lacking today with many officals.

blaine
In YOUR opinion.

OTOH, I think officials should take seriously their charter under 9.01(a) to conduct the game "in accordance with these rules...".

Now I know that there are many inconsistencies and gray areas in the rules. At those times I would AGREE that a solid, common sense approach is a good way to travel. In this case, however, the rules are hardly inconsistent or ambiguous. If you clearly see a balk then it is your job to call it, whether or not it's "obvious" to everyone else - to do otherwise would be a misapplication of the rules.

The only time umpires get to exercise their discretion is when they have doubt that the pitcher's action is illegal. In that case they can base their decision on their perception of the pitcher's intent. [OBR 8.05 Comment] Otherwise, the rules require the enforcement of balks. That's the umpire's job.

I believe that umpires should first endeavour to DO THE JOB before they start looking for excuses to inject their personal opinions into the game. It is all about being an IMPARTIAL ARBITER of the rules, and not about using one's individual perceptions to alter the play.

Cheers

[Edited by Warren Willson on Jun 30th, 2003 at 08:16 PM]