View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 22, 2000, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
Difference JV/Freshman

I know you haven't called too many freshman games lately but here is a little reminder of what the differences are. Freshman is generally players who are still learning the game. The game is either played three hours before the varsity or an hour and half before the varsity but in an auxilary gym. This is a great place for first year officials to work on their game since the crowds are smaller and the play is not as intense. There is the problem however that since the players are not as good, the game can be very sloppy. There is usually only one coach on the bench so the official doesn't have to worry about assistance.

The JV game, I consider the warmup act. While the gym is nearly empty when the game starts, because people are showing up to watch the varsity, we will have an ever growing crowd during the game. Can be scary for the a new official. The game is usually a little better in quality so it can be an easier game to call. Exceptions do exist. There is usally two coaches on the bench so you do have to worry about assistant coaches and I have seen some ugly incedences here. I have T'd coaches more in the freshman game but I have T'd players more in the JV.

Last Saterday night I did a freshman/JV double header. In the freshman game I had a rookie partner and a third year man for a partner in the JV game. The freshman game was as smooth as glass dispite my partners mechanical problems. He had a weak signal and we worked on his mechanics at the freethrow line. He learned a lot and we had fun. Easy game. The JV game was viscious though. We had a call on a bad elbow thrown. The coaches were all over us and we had to use ever skill we knew to keep the game under control. I am glad we got the Rookie into the Freshman game and not the JV that night.

Whichever you do stick around for the Varisty. A good chance to scout out what you will be doing in a few short years and learn what this thing is all about.