View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 22, 2000, 12:08pm
Do not give a damn!!

Question But Mike

what I am saying is that Freshman games have the least amount of people at them. The players are not that much better and I feel the fewer people can be worse. You hear every comment and every objection to calls and mechanics, this is not any better than putting a young official in a JV game where you cannot tell who is saying what. I had more problems starting out at this level than I did when I did my first JV game, which was my first HS game ever in my first year. I am not saying that first year or young officals should never do them, but to start them out with just freshman games, in my opinion is not going to help them or hurt them if they do not do a JV game. JV games might be better for them because of the exposure to veteran officials. When do they get exposure to veterans doing a freshman game?

And I really do not understand the difference in school sizes either. I live in the Chicago area and we have two classes in Illinois. You cannot automatically put officials in the smaller schools in some areas, there are no smaller schools to officiate. If you have to put officials at the big schools, so be it. It is still a freshman or JV game. Varsity is varsity and I have found the smaller schools can be harder to officiate than the bigger schools. Reason being is because at the smaller schools, more people come out for the game. Or at best relative to the gym we are playing. The big cities schools, there is not an attachment to the school the same way the smaller towns have to that school. Duke Univesity is a smaller school and has a smaller arena, but do you think there would be any better place to do a game in the country than Coach K Arena (formally known as Camaron Indoor Stadium)