View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 24, 2014, 11:24pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
A stiff arm is not illegal. Gratuitously hitting an opponent in the head is illegal.
Well if you can show me a ball carrier that can do that without trying to score, that will be a first.

Quote:
Do you expect the term "stiff arm" to automatically refer to a head hit? To me it just means fending off an opponent by contact using an open palm and a locked elbow.
No, but it usually takes a free hand to ward off a tackler as a ball carrier has to hold the ball with at least one of their arms. Disabilities aside of course.

Quote:
It has to do with the fact that the rules committee has never allowed types of contact by some players that would be unnecessary roughness if done by other players.
Maybe you are right, but I cannot image an situation where what you are describing is even possible. For one if you are so preoccupied trying to hit someone in the head, the defenders would be trying to strip the ball. And considering that in the game of football the ball is so important, I do not see anything over the top. I have been watching players like Earl Campbell or Walter Payton and other than a spear, I cannot think of a single action they did that i would ever call on a runner. And those were about as punishing a runner as anyone that every played the game.

Peace