Thread: pitch
View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 15, 2014, 05:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topper View Post
I haven't found anything in the rule that supports the rule editor's statement of when a pitcher can take/simulate a signal as it relates to the position of the batter. Nor did I find where bringing her hands together prior to the batter entering the box is stated to be a violation, only how long she has to bring them together after that happens and how long she can have her hands together prior to pitching. It looks like there is some "mixing" of the two rules maybe.

I haven't had pitchers do this in my games I don't have a feel of how odd it looks/feels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCAA 10.18
After BOTH the pitcher and the batter are in position, the pitcher has 10 seconds to bring her hands together.
How does the pitcher comply if before the batter, isn't that not after both?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCAA 10.18 EFFECT
If the pitcher is in violation of any part of the timing sequence, a ball shall be awarded to the batter.
Wouldn't doing it out of sequence, not AFTER both pitcher and batter are in position, be a violation of the timing sequence, and the penalty stated as a ball on the batter, not an illegal pitch?

Just FYI, I made that call on an ESPN3 game; got an "attaboy" from my coordinator. It helped that the pitcher even had her hands together more than 5 seconds before the batter stepped in; I waited for that, in case she legally backed off and re-engaged in time.