View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 14, 2014, 11:02am
Stirrer of the Pot

Speaking of Nats, I saw Bryce Harper's bomb against the Marlins last week. It went over the right field foul pole and hit the upper deck. The Marlins manager appealed to U1 that the ball might've gone foul, and the umpires went to check the replay. The Nats announcers mentioned that if the replay proved that the HR stood, the Marlins would lose their ability to challenge another call.

I didn't realize that the manager challenges included the situations where replay was used in the past (fair/foul over the fence, spectator interference, etc.) Before this season, a manager could appeal for the umpires to check replay multiple times in those scenarios, could he not? But now it counts against the replay challenges? That doesn't seem right.

As for the system in general, I, too, have been surprised by replay rulings that have gone against what I've seen on TV. But it's here to stay...
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker