View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 14, 2014, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

I mostly wanted to know how other umpires around the country felt about this interpretation when I sent this out because to me it was just so black and white wrong. Now it's more of a quest to maybe get it corrected.

First this ruling was not handed down due to a test question. The scenario of a pitcher/catcher who have had a courtesy runner used for them and then needed to bat again has happened several times here in PA and the question of how to handle the situation was passed up the chain of command to the State RI and from there it was passed on to NFHS.

The problem I see is if I differ from a directive sent from NFHS to the head rules guy for all of PA, down to the local level I'M the one who's going to be in trouble. It would be almost like saying that I don't like the DH rule so I'm not going to let teams use it in my games, it's a rule that I have to follow because the rule set I officiate under says its legal.

I lurk here a lot having never really posting all that much but this directive just seemed so wrong I felt the need to speak out. Maybe somewhere in all the people who read this forum someone has the pull to get this reviewed and reversed.