View Single Post
Old Fri Apr 11, 2014, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PABlue View Post
Okay I might be WAY out there on this one but we here in PA received this interpretation from NFHS on courtesy running. You tell me if you think this is wrong.

Situation: Catcher bats during a inning and reaches base safely, he then is replaced by a legal courtesy runner. The team bats around in the same inning again reaching the original catchers place in the order.

The question is can the catcher come up to bat again in that same inning?

According to NFHS the answer is NO. Here is there exact reasoning.

"Because once the CR replaced the catcher, the catcher can not reenter for the CR in (that half-inning) Pg. 93 CR# 3.
Neither could the CR bat in that position due to the fact the CR can not be used in the same half-inning. Therefore, the team would have to use a pinch hitter until the half-inning is over".

This is one I'm really ready to hear what other umpires have to say.
NFHS (CR3) "CR 3 SITUATION: The coach of Team A sends out a courtesy runner for F2 in the third inning with one out. After the second out, he sends F2 back out to run for himself. RULING: Illegal. Once the courtesy runner replaces F2, F2 cannot re-enter for the courtesy runner in that half-inning. However, in case of injury with no other courtesy runners available F2 may re-enter."

PA's interpretation violates "Courtesy Runner Rule #4. "Neither the pitcher or Catcher will be required to leave the game under such circumstances".

The CR is for running only and does not substitute for the catcher in their original position. The catcher is NOT out of the game so why should'nt he bat in his original order.

Of course, this is a State association rule adoption so PA may have changed this but, I don't see how their interp fits logically.