View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 10, 2014, 10:40pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
In her answer about the blarge play NFHS rulebook editor Theresia Wynns ultimately stated one should check with ones own state to see how this play should be administered.

So I did.

We had a meeting tonight to discuss association business. In attendance was Keith Alexander, LHSAA Supervisor of Officials. I asked him about the play.

"According to some in our discussion group, if the two officials give conflicting preliminary signals, they must report both fouls. True?"

He answered quickly, without hesitation. He did not specifically say that he was familiar with this particular case play, but I got the impression that he was. His answer: "No, only if neither will yield to the other." And he added pointedly, "And it should never come to that."

I agreed.

Ms. Wynns position is the same position with regard as to who should be making rules interpretations that Mary Struckhoff took: Let the StateHSAAs make their own rulings. That position is nonsense. The Number One item of Ms. Wynns' job description is Rules Interpreter Big Kahuna. The buck stops with her.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio