View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 09, 2014, 07:40am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
I'm not a fan of BC's in general, especially if the umpire is forced to pay.

However, I do believe that the mere fact that they ask for a BC will at least chase away the prior offenders who know they will come up negative on a BC.

This - "ASA (Amateur Softball Association) is the only group I know" performing background checks of game officials." however - is simply not true. USAV (that's volleyball) also performs background checks, and does a more thorough one than the traditional BC.
Little League also requires background checks of all personnel who will have repetitive contact with children, to include umpires. The checks can be as simple as checking the Department of Justice's Dru Sjodin National Sex Offender Public Website at United States Department of Justice National Sex Offender Public Website. The Registry allows free checks.

I just did a check for the umpire in the OP article. He is listed on the NSOPW database.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker