Thread: Game Report
View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 07, 2014, 01:56pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
Sounds like you had a fun day! What age level? I ran the lines (in those days, we were called linesman, not ARs), but never did a middle with trained partners on the lines. I imagine going from 1-ref to 3 is quite an adjustment, like going from 2 to 3 in basketball.

If you mean the GK was off the line before you blew the whistle for the kick, wasn't the AR on the line to alert you? If he took that quick little hop forward, don't keepers always cheat that way? In either event, you handled it correctly--you can't penalize the offensive team with a re-try for the GK's transgression. Play on.

What is DOGSO? A lot of new jargon for me to learn!
U14 girls I think. I've never done 1 ref, so that is an experience that is foreign to me as well. I started doing the dual system, but quickly moved to three-person.

Yes, I never made sure the GK was on her line before whistling for the start of the kick. My AR was trying to get my attention but I never looked at him. I kinda painted myself into a corner -- if the keeper had blocked the shot and my AR had flagged then we would have had to re-kick. Basically, I didn't do some preventative officiating which I should have. And in soccer, certain types of preventative officiating (especially when it comes to management of ceremonial kicks) are expected.

DOGSO stands for Denial Of Goal Scoring Opportunity. There are two types, fouls and handling. DOGSO-Foul involves an attacker who is through or nearly through on goal and a foul by the defense that prevents a goal scoring opportunity. Think about the "clear path" foul in the NBA -- that is DOGSO-F in soccer.

DOGSO-Handling is when the ball is going into the goal, and a defender keeps it out by deliberately handling the ball. Think what Luis Suarez did 4 years ago at the World Cup. 3:22 of this video.